Lies, lies, lies!
This is a great list from Epic Parent that I just had to share. Some people would say I couldn’t share this myself, because I am not (yet) a parent. So, I’ll let you take it from someone who is! Thanks Pastor Chris!
- “My Kids are Healthy”: Did you know that 1 in 3 children are obese? Did you know that by 12 many children have developed the beginning stages of hardening of the arteries? So many parents introduce their children to a life destroying diet of lunchables, Funyons, McDonald’s, Taco Smell and microwaveable pizza rolls. (yeah, I understand your too busy to save your kids life) If this is you, please don’t believe the lie, “My kids are healthy” because they are not. Mom and dad, you’re teaching, training and developing life long eating habits that will ultimately destroy your kids health and quality of life.
- “My Kids Don’t Struggle with ________”: I don’t care how good, obedient and Jesus lovin your kids are! Your kids struggle! They struggle with self image, lust, stealing toys from play group, pleasing friends and when trouble looms they even struggle with lying to mom so they can avoid the pain. Because your kids don’t ACT on it, doesn’t mean they don’t struggle with it! Please don’t be naive, oblivious and too freakin’ Christian to believe that your kids struggle!
- “I Will Stop”: Do you recognize any of these statements…“when my kids get older, then I’ll stop smoking”, “I’m gonna stop cussing when my kids are old enough to know”, “I will stop yelling”, “I will stop drinking”, “I will stop…” We all have stuff that trips us up but the truth is that you and I have been struggling with this stuff for years and there are very few of us that are going to stop. So maybe we need to stop saying “I Will Stop” and we should start saying “I Can’t Stop!” For some parents, it’s time to step into the POWER OF I CAN’T!
- “I Will Start Family Devotions on Monday”: Are you one of those “I will start on Monday parents?” Have you promised for years that you will start praying with, reading God’s Word with and investing in your kids spiritually…but it never seems to happen? Start investing today!
- “I Will Spend Time with my Kids when…”: Are you a when – then parent? “WHEN I get done with this project, THEN I will spend time with the kids.” “WHEN I get this house clean, THEN I will get in the floor and play Lego’s. I think you get the idea. Are you a when – then parent?
So what are some other lies that you tend to want to tell yourself, even though they aren’t true? Or what do you see others falling for? Post a comment or send me a tweet @DevinKroner!